Kite Update

The second kite is working much better. This time, I used Tyvek, which is a standard type of material for kites. I also reduced the weight by only using one spine. The kite flew pretty well and it didn't immediately run into the ground. However, the kite continued to twirl around in a circle. It ended up snapping when I moved the bridle point more than a 3/4 of the way up on the bridle, but it worked fine when it was taped back together.
http://www.kiteplans.org/planos/MBKdiamond/diamond-kite-plans-2.gif 

I'll make a third kite next week, and I'm sure it will be more refined simply because I know what worked and didn't work last time, even if I don't consciously acknowledge it. Additionally, I found a webpage from NASA that explains the basic equations you need to determine various aspects of a kite. In hindsight, I could've done even a little quick searches before I built my first kite.

I think I'll work on the project all year, and work on some side projects in the mean time. I'm not sure what they end goal of making a kite is going to be, but I'm learning a lot about the design process in the meantime. I'll probably be pretty expert in understanding how kite works by the end of this if nothing else.


Comments